“This post may contain affiliate links, if you click a link we may earn a commission if you purchase from that merchant.”
It may make sense to purchase travel insurance if you are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a vacation. Travel insurance safeguards your trip investment in the event you have to cancel or cut short your vacation due to a variety of factors such as weather, illness, government shutdowns, and more. Many plans also cover lost luggage and medical treatments incurred while traveling. Travel insurance is more vital than ever with the COVID-19 pandemic, and some countries require it.
TravelInsurance.com, a member of the US Travel Insurance Association, works with some of the country's largest and best-rated insurers to make the process of shopping for and obtaining travel insurance as simple as possible.
By filling out a form with the cost and duration of your trip, you'll be able to acquire quotations for travel insurance costs from several insurance companies as a travel insurance marketplace. This information will be sent to several insurance providers, and you will receive quotations from each in a format that allows you to easily compare rates, weigh benefits and cons, and look up plans for trip cancellations and interruptions.
- Quick and simple quotations.
- Guaranteed low prices.
- When you check out, you will receive an immediate confirmation email.
- Insurance terms glossary.
- Companies have different policies and quotes.
Travelex Insurance Services, situated in Omaha, Nebraska, is a well-known travel insurance provider. Travelex (not to be confused with foreign currency exchange shops) was founded in 1996 and offers a variety of insurance packages depending on the level of coverage you require for your trip. Customers can get coverage anywhere in the world.
The Travel Select plan starts at $28 and includes trip cancellation, trip interruption, emergency medical, and evacuation coverage, but there are other options for customizing and upgrading coverage.
If you cancel your trip, you'll be reimbursed up to $50,000. For trip interruptions, you can recover up to $75,000 or 150 percent of the trip cost. Emergency medical coverage is limited to $50,000, with emergency evacuation coverage of up to $500,000.
- Comprehensive coverage at a reasonable price.
- There are a variety of plan alternatives available, each with its own set of benefits.
- Children under the age of 17 are free of charge.
- Pre-existing condition coverage varies based on when the policy was purchased.
- There isn't a yearly plan offered.
- The basic coverage plan features minimal coverage.
Allianz Travel Insurance
Allianz Travel is a division of Allianz, a German insurance company founded in 1890. Travel plans are only available to lawful U.S. residents and are insured by insurers with AM Best ratings of A- to A+.
Annual travel insurance, rather than separate per-trip coverage, should be considered for travelers who travel frequently throughout the year. Allianz Travel offers four distinct annual plans, each with a different set of benefits. Their AllTrips Executive plan, which has the greatest limits and coverage, is one of our favorites.
For trip cancellation or interruption coverage, AllTrips Executive offers tiered limitations starting at $5,000. They also provide $50,000 in emergency medical coverage and $250,000 in emergency transportation coverage per insured and per trip. There is a slew of exclusions, including extreme sports, so read the tiny print before diving into adventurous activities.
The price point for a single traveler, a couple, and a family of four is $500 per traveler per year. If you spend $120 per person per trip for comprehensive coverage, you'll be able to break even with this plan if you travel at least five times per year. Allianz offers the AllTrips Basic, Premier, and Prime alternatives if you're seeking a cheaper option.
- Annual or one-time travel plans are available.
- Many different policy kinds are available to meet a variety of requirements.
- Even if you aren't traveling together, you should ensure yourself and your family throughout the year.
- Extensive travel periods are not covered.
- Per-trip limits apply to some yearly plans, while annual limits apply to others.
- The $250,000 cap isn't the highest in the industry for emergency medical transportation coverage.
InsureMyTrip, which was founded in 2000, is a travel insurance comparison website that searches over 20 insurers using a single intake form. It has a simple signup and comparison feature that allows you to rapidly compare several policies depending on your specific requirements. There are filters to help you find insurance that covers adventure sports, larger limits, increased medical coverage, and more.
A quote for a family of four taking a 14-day trip for $4,000 that includes aircraft and hotel fees yielded three suggested plans with prices ranging from $100 to $112 to $345 for varied levels of protection. Luggage coverage, travel delay, and medical treatment were among the basic features.
InsureMyTrip's insurers have received a range of industry ratings and are generally regarded as respectable and financially sound. It's still a good idea to study the policy information before clicking the buy button, as it is with policies purchased straight from insurers.
The claims processes, exclusions, and restrictions vary by the underlying insurer. However, InsureMyTrip makes it easier to make an informed travel insurance purchase.
- Request quotations from several trustworthy insurances.
- Shop around with one application for multiple trip types.
- For your upcoming trip, compare different policies from eligible insurers.
- Many well-known insurers are missing from the list.
- The policy limits are not displayed on the initial listing pages.
World Nomads is an excellent option for adventure-seeking singles and couples. The service, which is based in Australia, is a good option for international travel because it excludes only a few activities. Policies are underwritten by various insurers including financially strong and well-known Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, Generali Global, AIG, and Lloyd’s.
Terrorist attacks, assaults, medical repatriation, equipment and baggage, and international medical and dental care are all covered. Snowsports, water sports, aviation, motorsports, athletics, and high-adventure events are all included in the Explorer Plan. There are over 200 activities listed, many of which are specifically forbidden by other insurers.
For a month in Thailand, a single 35-year-old would spend $205.37, which is pretty inexpensive for such comprehensive coverage. For the same trip, the lower-coverage Standard Plan costs $116.04, but if you're concerned about something going wrong, it's better to choose more coverage levels.
- Comprehensive medical and emergency evacuation coverage with high limits.
- When traveling, it protects your bags, computers, and sports equipment.
- Adventure sports are covered by the Explorer plan.
- Only one-way plans are provided.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered in most cases.
- Adventure sports are not covered by all insurance coverage.